“D”efficiency or “D”light?
Vitamin D and your health
We have entered a season that all the germs are being passed around. Simultaneously we are spending more time inside (out of the sunlight and in the indoor air pollution), have greater stress due to holidays, end of year goals, and educational demands of our kids, and are consuming more sugar also due to holidays and special events and stress. We covered sugar, its effects, and great substitutes; but how do we overcome the lack of sunshine?
Let's start with a little review of vitamin D.
Did you know?
- It is a fat soluble vitamin (this is important)
- Vitamin D is required to have proper calcium and phosphorous levels
- proper mineralization of bone
- prevention of muscle spasms
- strengthening of bone and prevention of osteoporosis
- Helps modulate immune function, cell growth, and blood sugar levels/glucose metabolism
- Plays a big role in reducing inflammation.
- It is absorbed in the small intestine
- Natural sources include: mushrooms (D2), fatty fish D3 (salmon, sardines, tuna), sunshine
- Deficiency leads to soft or brittle bones, vulnerability to virus/bacteria/fungi, increased risk of cancer
- Proper cholesterol levels are required (low cholesterol will lead to vitamin D deficiency)
- A healthy gut is required for proper small bowel absorption of Vitamin D
- Higher risks for deficiency: any bowel disease such as Crohns, IBS, Celiac; bowel or gastric surgery, cholesterol medications, sun allergies.
So what does this mean to you?
Well, you can eat piles of mushrooms and sardines every day. How does that sound? Not so great?!
So what now? You guessed it, supplement and gut health. Check out our wellness boxes for kids and gut health!
- Gut Health: Prebiotics (vegetables, fiber) and probiotics and anti-inflammatory diet
- Kids: Mighty pro by Young Living, found on our Wellness Box page, has prebiotic, probiotic and antioxidant. Even taking just a few times a week can have a big impact in focus, immunity, and the nervous system. Also have them eat a fermented pickle from Olive my Pickle (Code: SPOILED10 for 10% off your first online order) or Bubbies brand found in the refrigerated section of most grocers.
- Adults: Mighty Pro is perfectly acceptable for you too! For a bigger punch try Young Livings Life 9. Also try to incorporate fermented foods from the above (sauerkraut, pickles, olives, kimchi, etc..)
- Supplementation: D3 + K along with Calcium/Mg is the dream. Also, consumed in or with a fat for adequate transport.
- Young Living offers a dissolvable/chewable D3
- Mary Ruths spray https://amzn.to/3lHNO59
- Biotics: https://amzn.to/3dqgnBu
What to expect when you apply these habits: A LOT OF BENEFITS. Some will be seen quickly, others are benefits that help reduce long term risks.
- Less anxiety
- Less incidence of illness
- Stronger bones
- Less inflammation (possibly lower cholesterol due to this)
BUT that's not all. Let's chat about zinc for a moment... Lets talk about zinc baby, let's talk about you and me.
Zinc is vital for cellular protection and production, as in DNA and protein synthesis. In short, it is important for:
- Growth periods (including pregnancy)
- Healing and recovery (after workouts, surgery, injury, etc.)
- Immune protection (to fight cellular damage from viruses and bacteria)
- Found in oysters, red meat, and seafood.
- Alcoholics, vegetarians, and those with gastric and bowel surgery and disease are at risk for zinc deficiencies.
- Consult with a physician as zinc can interfere with some medications including antibiotics.
We always have Young Living chewable Immupro tablets handy for when we feel under the weather or hit a growth spurt. They are packed with other amazing antioxidants and cellular support.
As for the other vitamins, get a wide range of color in your diet. Our bodies need a range of antioxidants as each works differently. Therefore just taking elderberry may not do the trick for you. This is why we take an ounce of Ningxia red most days. It has a wide range of antioxidants from wolfberries, citrus fruits, berries, and clove! It is a powerhouse.
NEXT WEEK: WE ENTER INTO LOW VITAMIN D, HIGH SUGAR, HIGH STRESS SEASON, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS FLU SEASON. Let's discuss how this all effects our long term risk and dive into some lesser known facts about breast cancer.
Follow along over the next few weeks as we share how to navigate this season with a heart full of joy and a healthy body and mind! Don't worry we are going to tie it all into breast cancer awareness and our two cents too.
This is the purpose of our wellness hub, to arm you with the information and tools you need to make healthier decisions on the day to day, and reduce your risks factors for all things that pose threats. Grab your passporttoday and search for the one habit you are going to swap out TODAY.
Do you want specific guidance and encouragement? Click on our consult page for a detailed plan customized to your risk and needs. I will look at the big pictures and help you create the habits that work for you and produce lifelong health and abundance. To start today check out our new "wellness box" recommendations or click our consult button today! $50 per e-consult, $150 for telephone or FT, and $200 in person. Through the end of June new passport holders (website members) can receive $50 off their personal consultation and plan.
Where will you start?
If this article speaks to you it would mean the world to us if you would leave a review on our FB page, comment or share our posts, or forward this email to a friend! We rely on word of mouth and referrals to continue to research and bring you great content and products (without the advertisements)This is how we create a safer, healthier, and more abundant community. #grassrootsmovement #spoiledlife #wellnesshub #healthychoices (tag me in your healthy choices @spoiledlife4u)
In love and health,
Amber N Osborne, CRNA, APRN, MSN
A promise from me:
Our bodies will have a successful immune response when exposed if we create the right environment and give it the right tools!
PS...Our protocols are designed to help you create healthy habits (such as sleep), address acute needs safely, simply, and affordably at home, and have more consistent wellness. So don't miss out. Start today with one of these suggestions for a better tomorrow!
#compoundeffect #onestepatatime #keepstepping #wellnesswithin #wellnesshub #spoiledlife
… Young Living is still the best deal going for easy swaps for a healthier home, skin and beauty, and personal care. They even added the highest grade CBD to the mix, AND you can get it through their rewards program making it 20% more affordable! THAT IS INSANE Grab a premium kit or basic kit and have full wholesale access to additional products for a full year!
As always, ordering through my links supports the research and content, but also gives you complete and free access to our passport with ALL resources included.
Click a Pillar to discover simple lifestyle habits that create lasting effects.
Discover simple swaps for a healthier and happier home.
We are what we eat! Take advantage of our shopping lists, pantry swaps, recipes and more.
Creating healthy habits and having tips in your pocket will help you live more abundantly.
Grab your Wellness Passport to realize your full potential!